Skip to main content

Reply to "NAIA To D-I"

Iv'e noticed a common theme on this site lately. Kids ask advice about transferring before they are in college and people get upset that they would ever think of doing this.

Everyone talks about keeping your options open, never burning any bridges, getting as much exposure as you can, planning ahead, having a fall back plan, don't eliminate any school until you have check it out and so forth.

I don't know what this young man's plans are, but maybe he has a desire to play Division 1 baseball and isn't getting as much interest as he would like from Division 1 coaches or isn't ready physically or mentally for a higher level or maybe he doesn't have the grades to get into the school he wants yet, maybe his parents cannot finance a D1 school this year. Is going to an NAIA school for a year in the grand scheme of things really different than going to a JUCO or a prep school for a year. Given the fiasco with JUCO credits transferring to NCAA schools with the rule changes, there is a good chance that an NAIA school will offer more classes with better transfer value than a JUCO might, so if your goal was to go somewhere for a year and then transfer, then I would say that an NAIA school might be a better opportunity and a reasonable opportunity.

I have more respect for Daniel recognizing that there are some options and asking for advice, rather than all these kids who simply go off to D1 schools thinking they will be a star and not having a backup plan after they get don't make the team or sit on the bench for a few years. Its' not really my place on the message board to question why someone wants to do something, but to provide him information that will help him make his decision easier.