Skip to main content

Reply to "NAIA To D-I"

Division I coaches do not 'scout' or 'recruit' players from NAIA teams. The NCAA and NAIA forbid coaches from 'recruiting' from other four-year programs. Division I programs can go on probation, etc., for actively recruiting (calling, emailing, etc.) players from any other D-I, D-II, D-III, or NAIA programs. If a player wants to transfer from one four-year program to another (of any level), the player must make the initial contact and then the coach who is contacted must inform the school that the student-athlete is currently playing for.

I realize that tampering and illegal recruiting goes on, particularly with summer collegiate leagues, etc., but I know over a hundred NAIA coaches, and not one of them would appreciate their players using their program to get noticed by another four-year program.

Students to transfer for various reasons, sometimes valid. But to attend a four-year school and participate in baseball with the intention to leave for a better opportunity later is deceitful. If a kid wants to do that, I can only respect his actions of he is open about his intentions with his coaches.