Skip to main content

Reply to "Name, Image, Likeness"

I am old enough to remember when the Olympics were amateur only (except the Soviets and Eastern Bloc).  I miss those days, but, sadly, that ship has sailed.  I prefer to watch college sports, especially baseball, over the pros.  But, frankly I don't look at college sports as amateur in anything other than name only.  Big money has taken over, at least at the P5 schools.  Head coaches, and assistants in some sports, are paid exorbitant salaries.  Players are recruited with multi-million dollars facilities, "Come Here IF You Want to be a Pro" sales pitches, and pictures of all of the bling (shoes, clothing, gear) they will get at Big State U.   Seasons get longer and longer because that means more money.  Remember when college football teams only played 10 games?  Expanding schedules is not about education, or players, or the good of "the game."  It's about the money.   

It would all be a little easier to stomach if most of the kids were really getting an education.  There are exceptions, but the vast majority of schools have at least one, sometimes several, Jock Majors.  Players are often steered towards these majors, the main purpose of which is to keep them eligible.  In terms of future employability/earnings capacity, they're not worth much.  And, they're not meant to be.  Again, it ain't about education.  

Frankly, I don't see these changes having much impact on college baseball.  But, if kids in other sports can benefit from them, more power to em. 

<Rambling, Soapbox Mode Off. >