Skip to main content

Reply to "National Anthem....the other side of the coin!"

roothog66 posted:

It wasn't the first time he had done it - just the first time it was noticed. he was asked and he gave an explanation. Once it became a big media story, follow up probably felt necessary. I'm personally glad he spoke up. We have a big time race problem in this country, especially as it concerns the legal system (which I am a part of and see every day) and the police. If the this starts conversation, then I'm all for it. Just pointing to the fact that there are some millionaire Blacks in the entertainment industry and saying, "See, there's no problem - they made it just fine," doesn't work for me.

One may be excused in these cynical times for wondering if the media had help noticing it after they missed it first two times.

I don't yet see how his gesture can be constructive--the reactions so far have mostly sharpened the divisions that were already too apparent. 

I wish I had a better idea what would be constructive beyond just trying to dwell peaceably in my own small circles and encouraging others to do the same.