Skip to main content

Reply to "National Anthem....the other side of the coin!"

roothog66 posted:

I

Swampboy posted:
roothog66 posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
Swampboy posted:

Part of growing up is learning that the world doesn't revolve around you and most people really don't want to know what you think about everything. I recently went to a religious service of a group of which I am not a member. I didn't care for it and disagreed with much of it. I suppose I could have made my disagreement known by refusing to stand or kneel at the designated times and by holding a news conference in the lobby to explain why. But I didn't. Nobody asked my opinion, so I kept it to myself and smiled politely.  Would that have been too much to ask of this player?

This generation of youths seems to have a large percentage that don't understand this. 

He didn't give his opinion until asked. It was noticed by an NFL TV reporter who asked his opinion - he gave it. I think he tried to make it clear he wasn't seeking publicity, but rather just doing what his conscience told him to do. I don't have a problem with that. As a veteran who actually risked his life and took the lives of others in the name of that flag, I'm proud to live in a country where you can choose to act on your own values and morals and not have it forced on you.

Roothog, 

Generally speaking, people do not make it clear they're not seeking publicity by granting interviews to national media and then following up with even longer interviews.

It wasn't the first time he had done it - just the first time it was noticed. he was asked and he gave an explanation. Once it became a big media story, follow up probably felt necessary. I'm personally glad he spoke up. We have a big time race problem in this country, especially as it concerns the legal system (which I am a part of and see every day) and the police. If the this starts conversation, then I'm all for it. Just pointing to the fact that there are some millionaire Blacks in the entertainment industry and saying, "See, there's no problem - they made it just fine," doesn't work for me.

I have a completely different stance on the issue, and frankly I have heard enough of the race card.  I believe it is more a socio-economic issue.  The oppressed are really those with no money.  I grew up with a single mom who had 4 kids.  We lived on Welfare, Food Stamps, etc.  Neither my mom, father, or siblings ever graduated high school, and I am now working on my MBA.  Did I have the same opportunities as other folks?  I would say definitely not.  I didn't have any relatives that could give me a break here or there, I had to rise up on my own and strive to make my life better.  I could have made a ton of excuses and gone down the path of 2 of my siblings.  

The facts are that there are more opportunities for those with money, than those without.  To put it in a way that most can understand, just look at the game of baseball.  My wife and I are middle class, and we couldn't afford to send Ryno to every function that he was invited to, but we did our best.  I can't imagine what it is like for those that are less fortunate...black, white, etc...