Skip to main content

Reply to "National Anthem....the other side of the coin!"

Yes , there are problems here as there are problems in many other countries, but it doesnt take away from this country being great. America is not perfect but it is the best I know. Although, I would NOT have used that moment to voice my displeasure. There is one question that keeps popping in my head and continues to be unanswered by most of the media and other people who have spoken their opinion about the topic.  When is a good time for a person who feels they must speak out? When would I have chosen to make my position known to the general public if I so wanted? What is the best forum? 

Many people agree that he should have stood for the National Anthem. So do I . But he felt compelled to act. This actually wasnt the first time he took a stance. I  checked his social media sources. I wondered why he did not say anything during the 49rs run to the Super Bowl or the countless interviews he has done. Maybe something has happened recently to make him see things in a different light.

Please remember that different races stood elbow to elbow during  civil rights protests. Many of those people stood at attention during the National Anthem. It was not the forum THEY chose to voice their displeasure at the injustices they saw at that time. Some chose to stand. Some chose to NOT stand also.  Americans  spirit. 

You can see injustice while you are wealthy or poor, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, or the color of your parents.  The race issue in America is a complex issue and not easily solved.  Some injustices are small and easily overcome. When my daughter played softball and my son played baseball for the same sports program and the softball fields were horrible and impossible to play on while the baseball fields were well kept, I stood up and voiced my opinion to force a change. ( just one example... I thought it fit in well with this website ). But we wont solve the race issue quite as easily, I am afraid. We must try to do something? It is very divisive and ugly.  I dont know where I would begin to solve it. Not during pre game. Probably during post game.....maybe not even in the context of a sporting event....but I dont have the answer. I dont know WHEN.

God Bless this country, where a man is free to voice his displeasure without fear of persecution by the government. In many other countries that would not be possible. THAT is a right my family has defended and I will gladly defend. Over and over. Even if I dont agree with NOT standing for the Anthem. I will ALWAYS agree with trying to make the world and more specifically, America, a better place. I love this country.