Skip to main content

Reply to "National Anthem....the other side of the coin!"

2forU posted:

To all of those that believe he was right, make sure your kid sits out the national anthem at his next exposure tournament.  Yeah!  Let us know how that turns out. 

I do wish this would be shut down as I cannot seem to help myself.  Yes - if your kid is aiming to get into a specific program and they show up at the showcase, stand up during the national anthem.  Coaches in general do not want kids who have potential issues which could negatively impact their program.  That are not going to want to explain every series why one of their guys is sitting in the dugout while everyone else is lined up.  Don't blame them.  They also like their guys to keep their shirts tucked in and their hats facing forward.

As for this situation when an adult - who presumably is set for life and is something of an actor on a national stage - decides to sit it out, I think that person understands what they are trying to achieve. 

Putting these two situations together as though they are identical, or even somewhat similar, is not valid.  If you want to point out that lots of people off the street would find sitting offensive, please proceed.  I myself find it a little distasteful and maybe not the best approach (especially when he has a stage already and could make his opinions knows in a different fashion). but I really do prefer solid arguments.  

I never served in the armed forces, but when those guys come forward and talk about folks' liberties, including sitting, as a right they fought for, I'm going to give them lots of credit for knowing what they are talking about.