Skip to main content

Reply to "National Anthem....the other side of the coin!"

Interesting observations. I actually was outraged but after reading about the history of the Star Spangled Banner, I somewhat understand why he possibly decided NOT to stand, at some point in his lifetime.

The song written by Francis Scott Key, is not sung in its entirety, only the first verse, there are 3. The National Anthem is actually a celebration of slavery.  Some feel it actually should not be our National Anthem anymore, and represents a dark period in our countrys history.

You all can google it.

However, after listening to a gold star mother today, I agree with what she said.  Sometimes its not about what you do, but what you dont do. If Kaepernick felt or feels that blacks or any other race is suppressed, then do something to help make a change.

A perfect example of this is how LeBron James is helping to bring commerce back to Cleveland, which would bring jobs and more income to the area. Dwayne Wade went back to Chicago for the same reason.  Many athletes do spend their off season trying to help make a difference in other peoples lives, because they understand they are truely blessed to be where they are.

So while I understand Kaepernick has the freedom to stand or not stand while they are playing the National Anthem, he also has the freedom to do something to help bring change.

JMO