Skip to main content

Reply to "National LOI signed. Coach wants to release verbally"

So, it sounds to me like you are most interested in the D1 athletic opportunity, academics and financial situation in that exact order.   This crap happens every year, and I would NOT under any circumstances attend the school you signed the NLI with....get out of it...now.  They have demonstrated "trust" and "honor" are not at the top of their list, and it is a one way street.  I'd get out of the NLI, and I'd pursue the other previous offering schools and make an additional list of schools to see what is available.   My son was contacted/recruited late in the SEC recruiting cycle (junior year) because one their pitchers had legal issues.   Again, this stuff happens, but the key is to stay in touch with recruiters and decision makers.  They can make things happen for you especially with someone that has your athletic and academic metrics.  

If you are really pissed off, I'd contact schools in the same conference as the one you previously committed to see what opportunities they have and share your story (discretely)  with them.   You may be able to kill two birds with one stone.  After seeing my son taken off the recruiting list of two schools in his former  conference, I noticed he always pitched well against those two teams.  Motivation comes in many forms.   Good luck!

As always, JMO.