Skip to main content

Reply to "National LOI signed. Coach wants to release verbally"

The problem here is that the school left him with very few options. To release a player this late in the game in terrible. Cannot apply to any other D1/D2/D3 schools without baseball as their classes have already been filled. Even doing a PG year at a boarding school is a long shot and a steep price tag. I don't doubt that things will work out, but for any school to put a player in this position is wrong. Yes I know JUCO is an option but there is a reason this kid chose to go to a D1 school...it's what he wanted. 

I think it would help to know more...how many kids were in the recruiting class, how many kids (if any) get drafted each year, is it a new coach, is it a P5 school, etc. 

Personally I think school administrations need to be on top of this stuff more. Too many schools that only get 1-3 players drafted each year are committing 15/16 kids for every class. And 8 kids get a call in June saying go to this JUCO for 2 years or not enough players got drafted, or I ran out of money, etc. When each scholarship not honored comes off the coach's paycheck watch how quickly they get their act together. 

I know not everybody agrees with this and I know some posters don't want to reveal too much information, but if the story is true and things do end up working out for this kid I would like to know which school this was. Sure there are two sides to every story but when one of the members goes on their next recruiting visit to this school they can get the other side. I disagree with the "business" mentality, I would take it personally. You made a commitment to them and they turn their back on you? It's one thing to say "hey you might not be a good fit here. We will honor your scholarship for x years, but if you'd like to move on I can help make some phone calls for you" and anther to say "look for other options".