Skip to main content

Reply to "National signing day is the reason for entitled athletes"

JCG posted:

Just read the roundup of signees in the local paper.  Some great stories, great kids, and great schools. Many more soccer players (boys and girls) than football players.  But there was one girl listed for a D3.  Is that a thing now?

I guess it depends on the newspaper, High School AD, size of the school and town etc.  Again, it is about celebrating accomplishments and different people have different ideas about what that means and also what it is. 

A few years ago, I was shocked to learn that most people really don't know the difference between athletic & academic scholarships and financial aid. Those of us who have hung around HSBBWeb long enough know those differences.  I can't tell you how many people told me (over the years) "so and so" got a "full ride to a D3".  Most of us smile and just keep our comments to ourselves.

My youngest son's high school has a signing day for D1/D2 athletes only.  My oldest son's school had a special day for him (including media) because of his academic and athletic achievement.  Even though it was a D1 school there was no NLI to sign because his conference doesn't provide athletic scholarships.  He signed a blank piece of paper for the newspaper and video.  The event was a great gesture by the school and I think my son now realizes it was a pretty special day.  At the time, he wasn't onboard with all the fuss.

So, I think it gets left up to every Principal or AD on how they want to handle it for their local schools district or community.  I gave you two examples in our community with schools that are in the same County, but handle it very differently.

Last edited by fenwaysouth