Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA announce recruiting rule changes"

hshuler posted:
TPM posted:

According to a new update rules are in effect immediately?

I think this is confusing for everyone but this comes from a compliance office. 

Very confusing. 

Originally, one recruiting coordinator said everything was immediate with no contact at all until junior year. Another said we have six days to get recruits on campus so yes, there was lots of confusion. 

Here’s how it was explained to me:

The unofficial visits for freshmen and sophomores (facilities tours by coaches, coaches leaving tickets and baseball coaches meeting with recruits on campus) stop next week if approved on Wednesday. I’ve been told that it will definitely pass.

No freshmen or sophomores baseball  recruits will be on campus after Wednesday. Freshmen/sophomores will still be allowed to call coaches when facilitated by a travel or high school coach. They considered removing all contact until junior year which (I believe) softball did implement.

Interesting side bar, one coach said they voted against new rule because they thought it was all or nothing and didn’t realize that it was three (1. Allowing OV’s for juniors 2. Not allowing UV’s prior to junior year & 3. Forbidding all contact before junior year) separate proposals.

The official visits for juniors go into effect on August 1 although no official visits can happen before Sept 1. I guess the one month grace period is for planning.

Shu,

Interesting that the players will still be allowed to contact the coaches.  I assumed that was the reason for the "no 3rd party contact" clause.

Does anyone know how the contact rule changes are after Sept 1 of Junior year?  Are coaches allowed to openly contact players via text/phone call throughout Junior and Senior year?