Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA announce recruiting rule changes"

hshuler posted:
2019Dad posted:

Interesting twist: "Lacrosse is already using this model and an NCAA rule interpretation is that messages may not be passed through any third parties in an effort to continue recruiting communications. That would be considered an NCAA rule violation." So it sounds like the freshman or sophomore player can call the college coach, but the college coach can't ask someone (like a travel coach) to ask the player to call.

www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-h...36352-htmlstory.html

So basically, a player can still text a coach saying “I’ll call you Wednesday at 8:30 and if you can’t answer, I’ll try again at 9.”

Third parties are needed to set up the initial call so I guess “technically” players shouldn’t be able to talk with coaches (unless a relationship has been established already) before their junior year going forward, right?

This is all so confusing, I'm hopeful there will be some specific clarification/guidance when the rule change officially occurs.

What is meant by the phrase "unless a relationship has been established already?" How/when does that prior relationship get established?