Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA announce recruiting rule changes"

TPM posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:

It will also make highly recruited juniors less willing to make UVs at their own expense.

My question - won't most "highly recruited" juniors already be committed prior to starting their junior year - or do folks think this will delay the decision for the top tier kids into the winter of junior year so they can get in a few OV's?  I suspect a kid who commits prior to day 1 of junior year is going to get a single OV invite - to the school they have already committed to.

Some percentage of those highly recruited 9th and 10th graders are not prepared for the full court press put on during an UV. When a big-time SEC/ACC program walks a kid through their outrageous facilities, dresses them up in one of those beautiful college uniforms, then makes a big production out of pictures with the head coach… it takes a pretty level-headed kid to not jump on the first offer. If nothing else, the rule change will prevent that scenario. However, there will still be plenty of 9th and 10th graders who know exactly what they want (baseball-wise at least), and if the right offer comes along they will have no reason to wait.

MidAtlantaDad,

It is against NCAA rules to dress the recruit up in the programs gear.

Do you know the rule number? I've seen it on several occasions. Most recently it was a freshman baseball recruit at a big-time ACC school. I won't post that one because I know the kid, but I can find a few with a quick search, like this football one:

https://www.tigernet.com/story...st-after-visit-16721