Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA APR"

I have many mixed feelings about this one.

+ I agree its an honorable ideal created by honorable people, but...
- I think its a bit idealistic and somewhat unrealistic

+ I think its achievable even by schools that send many players to the pros, but...
- I think its mostly achievable by schools like Stanford, where many of the players come in with advanced credits and could graduate in 3 years anyways

+ I think it will force schools to be more vigilent about their athletes as students, but...
- I agree with RHP05Parent that it may squeeze out the borderline student who found athletics his/her only way to college

+ I think student athletes may become more serious about their classwork than they may be at times now, but...
- I think it will encourage coaches to encourage their players to find less challenging majors

Bottom line...I've learned this year firsthand how very, VERY difficult it is to be a student athlete in college. There's a lot of pressure on these young adults. In a lot of ways its good for them, but we are asking more and more of them all the time. The statistics are based on graduating in 5 years I believe...to be honest, I would be perfectly happy to stretch that timeframe to 7/8 even 10 years...whatever it takes.

Just some thoughts from someone whose perspective has changed a bit in the last year.