Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Division III"

My brother was recruited by various Div. I and Div III programs in the NE. He ended up getting early "offers" from Tufts, Trinity, an Lafayette. After he committed to Tufts by applying early, he got more heavy interest from UVM, URI, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, and Bucknell. He chose Tufts because he saw an opportunity to pitch right away. He was the #2 pitcher(3rd overall ERA in the NESCAC) and the #1 just signed with the Red Sox.

I was with him for alot of the recruiting process. When he saw the facilities at Emory, he was much more impressed than when he saw the facilities at Davidson. When he saw the level of play at Trinity, he was much more impressed than what he saw at Lafayette. Take out Princeton, and the Ivy League is not much better than the top Div. III programs. Take a look at Bryant and UMass-Dartmouth and you'll see teams that are veyr competetive with URI and UMass.

Buddy, I don't know when you coached, but to suggest that high level Div. III programs aren't as strong as mid/low level Div. I programs is somewhat innacurate. There are plenty of players at good Div. III programs that can play anywhere. Trinity has 3 kids in the NECBL this summer. Amherst and Williams each have a player. Bowdoin ahs 2 players and a 3rd who will probably end up there after his stint on the Cape is over. The depth factor makes DIv. II/III programs weaker than Div I, but the top players will get noticed by scouts. Tufts and Trinity have had multiple kids drafted or signed in the past few years, and not all have been pitchers.

so, to answer the original question, if you want to get exposure, the only way to do it is if you play at a big time level. If you do it at the Div. II/III level, you will still get exposure...just not as much as at the Div. I level.