Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Division III"

There's been a lot of chatter about DI v. DIII, but there are some intangibles that have been overlooked. My '03 son went back and forth regarding his college choice debating between a good academic DIII in the SCIAC and a east coast DI school. He chose the latter and his teammate from high school went the DIII route. Both were outstanding HS players and students. My son's teammate tore up the league in his freshman year - played every game and won all kinds of honors. My son played a third of the total innings mostly as a defensive replacement. He had no trouble finding a collegiate summer ball team to play on - his coach simply passed his name on and he was selected largely because he plays in a good DI league His friend was unable to find a summer league. I can't say it was because he played in a less visible baseball division, but I think it had a part of it. Most importantly, my son enjoyed playing in a stadium in front of a minimum 1000 people a game (one game on the road he played before 7500 fans); he saw parts of the country he would never have seen had he stayed home and played DIII; all his games were broadcast either on radio or tv or both, etc., etc. These are some intangibles that can make a difference. And lastly as he joked to his high school friend recently - he doesn't have to wash his own uniform!