Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Division III"

I had the top D3 versus a D1 conversation with the dad of a D1 player when Trinity won the D3 national championship. I met the dad at a Harvard-BC game. His son played for Harvard. He was from Connecticut. When I asked if he was familar with Trinity the guy said he played college ball with the coach and knew him very well. He had asked the Trinity coach the same question I asked him, "Could Trinity beat Harvard?" The answer was on Trinity's best day with their ace on the mound it would be possible. The ace was drafted in the 26th round.

Each year about 15-25 players are drafted from D3 ball. Several more sign as free agents. The year Hopkins lost to Trinty their ace signed as a FA. Trinity's catcher signed after being NESCAC player of the year.

A player is more likely to be drafted from D3 if he's a pitcher. The quality of competition might be questioned for a position player. 90+ is 90+ regardless of where it's thrown. The Hopkins pitcher I referenced entered Hopkins throwing 84 and came out throwing 92.