Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Loses their minds"

Dominik85 posted:

I'm not in a lockdown, I am going out but I also don't do dumbshit stuff.

People should not panic and a month ago your position was the position of reason but now situation has changed and it is not anymore.

As for the consequences they are not just endangering themselves but they are also vectors for the virus and they are not held accountable  for that.I mean you wouldn't call a drunk driver juat enjoying his life, wouldn't you?

I'm certainly not panicking at all but i believe in the position of science and now every expert agrees on what to do. A month ago my position would have been unreasonable but now it is the reasonable position and you can't call people who follow the rules of the experts paranoid although many unfortunately are paranoid now.

Given that we're more or less following the Italian path, we probably should have been on a complete lockdown a month ago. Your position would have seemed like a gross overreaction then, but it was probably what should have been done.  That's the nature of pandemics.

If you can believe the Chinese numbers, that's basically what they did.  Martial lawed 10s of millions of people in place and started testing everyone. SK appears to have achieved basically the same effect with large numbers of tests and tracking/followup and a more voluntary version of quarantining everyone exposed.

Meanwhile, we've got a Georgia state senator who knew he was showing symptoms and went to work anyway, or  Wisconsin senator Ron Johnson saying it's NBD, only 1-3% of people are going to die and we can't stop everything for just that.

I get that math is hard, but 10s of millions of people catch the flu every year. 10s of millions of people catching this means several hundred thousand to a couple million dead, and it will happen fast enough to overwhelm healthcare systems everywhere and lead to tangential additional deaths from that.