Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA mtgs 11/3-11/4"

@used2lurk what else might we be able to do...if anything?

You've got to get creative.  I promise you that others are and will continue to do so.  My 2021 had some coaches ready to come out and watch him play ball this spring (2020).  It was great.  Genuine interest. Requested spring schedule.  Trajectory was right where we wanted it to be.  They'd be watching, so all he had to do was go out and perform.  Then Covid hit and spring ball was killed.  My son was really down on the fact they now wouldn't be coming to watch him, so he found another way.  He got diligent about shooting video.  He was already working out from top to bottom 7 days a week.  He committed to (and stuck with) shooting quality video 3-4 days a week.  He had a tripod phone/camera mount that lived in his trunk alongside his gear as well as mobile adjustable mounts that could attach to fences, nets, etc.  He shot and shot and shot.  And every Sunday, his targets were sent a link to a 3-5 minute Youtude video of the best footage from that week.  "Coronavirus Week 1," "Coronavirus Week 2," etc.  It was his way of allowing his coaching targets to still watch him each week in the spring.  He started out sending the easy/standard stuff, but knew that wouldn't maintain interest from week to week, so he then had to get creative and add new drills/content each and every week.  That wasn't easy.  It took focus and planning.  Often it required orchestrating buddies to be present because you can only do so many drills by yourself.  My son had some 2020 high school grad buddies who were committed pitchers.  One was D1, but he had some high level JUCO buddies as well.  So he begged them to come out and throw live to him - which they did.  And he shot all that.  Sometimes from multiple angles thanks to a buddy's phone.  So my son was able to send coaches videos that were prefaced with "here is some live hitting off D1 Baseball University pitching commit Johnny Smith."  Thing like that drove the number of views up significantly.

He got some feedback from some prospective coaches who told him they didn't have any other prospect doing what he was doing.  That's what "creative" looked like for him this spring, but you HAVE to find something to stand out and differentiate yourself.  Covid presents obstacles and barriers and there is no magic way of getting passed them that works for everyone.  You experiment.  But if you're doing the same things that every other prospect is doing, good luck.  That should be the baseline bare minimum.  But I'd recommend you spend some time brain storming ideas.  When you come up with some that no one else is doing, you might be on to something...