Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Roster size"

quote:
Originally posted by 08Dad:
I would also have a requirement that players signed to an NLI have a roster spot for the first year. Either that or a player that is not given a spot is allowed to transfer without restriction. Doesn't seem right that an NLI locks a player for 2 years (1 at the school and 1 transfer sitout year) but does not ensure that he has a spot for even 1 minute on the 35 man roster.

If a player signs a NLI and attends the NLI school, he will by rule spend the entire championship segment on the 35 man roster. (He must be awarded countable aid in order to sign a NLI, and once he enrolls, he is a counter, and all counters must be on the 35 man roster.)

But it doesn't mean that he will get to play, and I suppose that the school could even keep him from practicing, although I can't see why that would happen.

A recruited walk-on has the possibility of transferring mid year, so that he is eligible his sophomore spring season.

If the school really doesn't want an NLI player, perhaps it would release the player from the NLI, so that the player could transfer mid-year without triggering the NLI one year sit out penalty.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove