Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA to grant an additional year of eligibility"

My son and I have spent a lot of time talking about his friends on his team and guys he has played with.  Wondering who will stay and who will go.  Who will be redshirted next year.  Who will change schools or just drop baseball all together.  The interesting part is they are not talking to each other about those things because they don't want to be the one who suggests a bad thought to their friends because as we all know baseball players are superstitious.  But as we talked after his call last night, the reality is everyone cannot come back and everyone come in.  He has guys he has played against and with that are coming in to his program this year, some on scholarship, some preferred walk-on, and at least one he knows was going to be a true walk-on.  I told him the term preferred walk-on somewhat just went out the window this year.  I think a lot of coaches are going to tell guys "That preferred status we talked about is no longer relevant.  You will have to work extra hard this fall to earn any chance of staying in the spring."