Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Transfer Rule Changes Possible/Probable/Impossible?"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I don't have a problem with the transfer rule as it is.  You know going in what it is....it's not like you're getting surprised after your sophomore year when you decide it's not a good fit.  Colleges aren't created to give kids a spot to play a sport...they're created for education.  I do think that if you're a recruted/scholarship athlete and the coach that was the HC when you got there leaves or is fired, then you should have the opportunity to transfer with no sitting out.  Other than that one thing, I think the rest of the rule(s) are good the way they are.  It's bad enough that JUCO kids can show up at D1's after their sophomore year and possibly take a spot from a kid who has been there for 2 seasons....they don't need any more new guys coming around.

Buckeye 2015,

NCAA transfer rules only benefit the school. When a young recurit signs a NLI to play at a top DI program they aren't thinking about transferring. Top DI coaches are already recuritng your replacement before/when you are signing. Some coaches are men of character, but most aren't. It's a business, but when a better looking player shows up, they toss aside that kid that did everything he was asked to do and comitted too when he signed his NLI. If you're a stud, and most aren't, it's a little different. 

If a player gets asked to move along because he's 3 deep and JC guys are coming in as well, he should be allowed to go DI to DI. That coach is just looking for his scholarship money or to open a slot for the 28 man roster.

Regarding JC transfers, every top DI has them. Those coaches hope that JC transfer takes a spot away from a kid that's been there for two years. It's called competetion.

I get it, the NCAA doesn't want players jumping from team to team. But under certain conditions, it should be allowed. The NCAA says it's about graduation, that's BS. I've seen stud players only take the weakest classes, minimum of credits, knowing that they are only trying to stay eligiable to get drafted. Never planning on graduation.

I can assure that being released from a team is devastating to a kid that has lived up to his end of the deal, but the coach hasn't done the same. Might be a little different if the rules were changed, but I'm not holding my breath.