Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Transfer Rule Changes Possible/Probable/Impossible?"

I get it.....but the vast majority of transfers aren't kids who had the coach come to them and say "you aren't going to play".  Yes, that happens, but in most cases it's just kids who aren't the big man on campus like they thought they would be and just feel like moving is the best option....when in reality it's the easy way out.  Trust me I get it....my son was 24 hours away from telling the coaches he was done after his freshman year.  Fortunately, a friend who was both a former college player and a coach sat down with him and told him that "it's normal for a freshman...everybody hates it...it's hard, school is hard...but stay with it and you'll be happy you did".   He did and he is.    I don't know any coach who has ever come up to a kid after his junior year and said "Hey Johnny, I know you started every game for me last year, had a .980 fielding percentage and hit .320, but I just don't need you next year".   That doesn't happen.  The kids that get "asked" to leave are the kids that weren't playing for a variety of reasons.  Of the kids who have left at my son's school since he's been there, 2 of have had had that conversation with coaches...but it was definitely a 2 way street.  They had "given up" long ago.  They came in expecting to be "the man"...and weren't....not because the coach hated them, but because they didn't perform so they didn't play.  They could have stayed....and proven the coach wrong...and trust me, with the way this year went, they'd have gotten chances to earn a spot back, which is what I mentioned earlier, but neither did...they just bolted.   A kid who is finishing up his freshman year had a really tough year....and let it get to his head.  He kept getting opportunities...and just couldn't get it done.   He's leaving and blames everyone but himself.  Again, I get it...things happen and kids leave, but at some point not every transfer can be blamed on coaches.  Trust me, if any coaches deserved to have kids leave, it's my son's staff, but not every kid is built to just "walk away".   Some will stick it out, work harder and deal with the results good or bad.