Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Transfer Rule Changes Possible/Probable/Impossible?"

3and2Fastball posted:
pabaseballdad posted:

. It's brutal but it's just business.   Hopefully some of the parents at the beginning of the recruiting process will read these threads and learn.   In hindsight, we would do things differently! but like life, you deal with the change and move on.  It will all work out! 

I'm reading and taking notes.  This summer my kid will be a rising HS Soph.  What would you do differently in hindsight?

boy- now you are putting me on the spot!

One thing I'd do differently for sure is truly vet the juco scene coming out of HS.  I did not understand it, never even considered it.

for my son (and everyone is different) he is an athlete with tools- and this is going to sound like bragging, but I'm going to paint the picture.  He has tools- fast, strong arm,  big bat.    was a pro prospect, top 150 in PG.  In hindsight I realize now that he was behind from an experience perspective.    he's a kid from the north, didn't play great competition, and didn't play as much as a lot of the southern or west coast kids.  He needed experience and coaching.    JUCO may have been a good route out of HS to get that experience.  Financially it can be a much better route-  there's 11.7 scholarships in d1, he was lucky enough to get a very good D1 scholarship- but it's still partial.  D1 Juco's have a 24 scholarship limit.  some are very well funded.  so I think Juco may have been a better route for HIM, not saying that's better for everyone.