Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Transfer Rule Changes Possible/Probable/Impossible?"

Buckeye 2015 posted:
RJM posted:

As much as i enjoyed the college baseball/softball experience (self and two kids) the concept of college sports is absurd. Most of the rest of the world agrees. But as long as football and basketball are money and/or PR generators ** nothing will change. 

Players should be able to transfer at the end of a semester if the coach departs or the program is placed on probation. Want to end cheating that leads to probation? Have the NCAA suspend coaches without pay for the duration. Players who don't play X amount of time should be eligible for transfer at the end of the semester. Maybe each conference could have a transfer eligibility arbitration department.

** Admissions bump up after successful seasons

How would that work?  This goes back to my post above....you aren't guaranteed one minute of playing time when you sign an NLI.    Allowing a kid to transfer based on playing time would just be an absolute nightmare.  You could have 90% of your freshman transferring after their first season just because they didn't play enough.   A coach could sit a kid for 3/4 of the year....then play him the last 5 innings of the last game of the year to get him past the "playing time" number so he couldn't leave.  

When my son was being recruited.....The conversation we had went something like this...... "ok, you want to play D1 baseball....here's the deal....you are going to stay at whatever school you sign to go to....unless there is a coaching change.   You're not transferring because of baseball.  If you end up hating the game, fine, you can quit baseball, but you're not playing somewhere else just because you're not pitching enough or getting enough at bats.  Those things are up to you....work hard and earn the playing time....don't leave just because things are tougher than you expected.   If you want to go D2 or D3 because you hope you'll play more....decide now...not 2 years from now".   He agreed.....and he has busted his butt the whole time and is getting plenty of P/T.   They have had kids come in with this "expectation" that they are somehow guaranteed something.  They find out real quick they aren't and they are gone....either done with baseball altogether or off to a small school.   It's been said on here 1000's of times....make sure you love the game BEFORE you go to college to play....or you'll end up hating it once you get there.

Everything worked out for my son better than expected. He would have stayed had it not worked out. But I try to look at the big picture rather than just one personal scenario.

If a coach tells a kid he’s not projected to get on the field why should he have to sit out a year or go to three schools in three years (4-2-4) to play? If a coach over recruits and cuts the kid why should he have to sit out to transfer? What if a  new coach comes in and doesn't want the player recruited by the previous coach? 

There are many variables. Everyone is told they will compete for a position. But sometimes its nothing but a line.Some kids are nothing more than third string insuramce and the coach knows it. Why shoukd this player have to sit to transfer? 

I do recognize some players end up in bad situations because they (and the families) did not do their homework. Some have no idea how many transfers typically come in. Some dont realize everyone on the team was all whatever in high school. 

Some players reach for their dream school rather than the school fawning over them. I was the one who brought go where they love you to the board. TR repeated it jntil it was hammered home. 

I was at a NC State - Boston College game. My son was in high school at the time. I woukd engage parents asking about their son’s journey. I was chatting with the dad of the NC State RFer. The kid was starting as a freshman. I asked if UNC recruited him. UNC was at their peak at the time. The dad said UNC showed interest and made an offer. NC State showed love and made an offer. Go where they love you. 

As mentioned a conference could have a transfer eligibility committee to make decisions.