Skip to main content

Reply to "NCAA Transfer Rule Changes Possible/Probable/Impossible?"

3and2Fastball posted:
pabaseballdad posted:

. It's brutal but it's just business.   Hopefully some of the parents at the beginning of the recruiting process will read these threads and learn.   In hindsight, we would do things differently! but like life, you deal with the change and move on.  It will all work out! 

I'm reading and taking notes.  This summer my kid will be a rising HS Soph.  What would you do differently in hindsight?

I will speak to this as well. For us, it was hard to turn down a scholarship from a top school. When the offering school had been a regional power, and had been to the CWS in the last decade, you throw caution to the wind and sign. Our son played his freshman year, did very well and was told he had a good chance for more play time next year. Fast forward to the fall, struggled some early, finished strong and again made the spring roster. Didn't get a sniff of play time, was told he would be red shirted, than two weeks before the season ended, he was told that he wouldn't see play time next year and offered a release and help finding a new home. Did I mention, he had a 4 year guarantee on his financial agreement. He had offers to enroll at other DI's, but didn't want to sit out another year.

In the end it all worked out, but initially a gut punch. He dropped to a DII, still had scholarship money. He finished with 43 appearances & 35 starts, 215 IP and is 7th in wins all time in his programs history. He received his degree and will have his MBA by this time next year. Would we have done it differently? Probably, but you can't turn back time. 

We have been blessed by the game of baseball and like the game itself, it's unpredictable. Find the right school, research the program history, talk to past, present and future players when you can. Check roster sizes, history and transfers and it's still only a guess.