Skip to main content

Reply to "Need Advice on how to select a pitching coach."

As for the original question...the OP has gotten several great recommendations and is probably set to go, so this is for other who would have the same question. here would be my advise (much of it learned the hard expensive way). DO NOT base your decision on playing credentials. I constantly here parents bragging about the experience of their kids instructors. It's never based on coaching success. It's always about Johnnie being with instructor x who is an ex AAA pitcher, etc. Look more at his students and what they are doing.Don't fall into the trap of choosing an instructor you can brag about. There are plenty of good instructors out there with little to no upper-level playing experience and plenty of ex-major leaguers teaching bad stuff.

A few years ago, I was looking for a pitching instructor for my son (despite the fact that I am one myself - hoping to avoid conflict). The first was a long time instructor with some ml experience. I'm not sure if he was any good or not, because he didn't do anything. Had my kid throw to him, but stopped every third pitch or so to chew the fat with guys passing by the cage. The second was an ex-mlb'er with a long decent-but-not-great-career. Very good guy who even became a personal friend. He was with this guy for an entire off-season. It took a year to unteach everything he taught. When I am asked for recommendations, I'm more interested inlooking at guys he's instructed in the past and how they are doing. I would never commit to more than one lesson. Go and watch that lesson. Thirty minutes should be enough to know if you want to come back.