Skip to main content

Reply to "Need advice. Rude Parents in stands"

cabbagedad posted:
CatcherDadNY posted:
mamabb0304 posted:

@CatcherDadNY, the kids who are playing and the kids who are not playing do not decide who plays.  The parents of those kids do not decide (Or at least I don't) who plays. The "vocal" parents in our stands are unleashing their venom on the players. That is my issue. Have a concern with a coach, complain if you want to, yell if you want to, but players?

I don't excuse rude parents..but neither should anyone excuse coaches who have tunnel vision regarding participation...you want them to buy into your program and be a team player then you have to show the same in return..make an effort to involve everyone on your roster at some point..if you cant find innings for them then you have no business coaching..that's the art of managing.

I'm confused.  So, are you suggesting that the appropriate course of action toward a head coach not finding innings for bench players is for the parents in the stands to yell stuff at him during games?  Interesting. 

OP was more concerned with parents in the stands being rude to players, so as Mamabb says, two different issues.  But still interesting.  Please let me know how well that works for the player in the long run .

No, you need to reread my post..I said I don't excuse rude parents..but understand that some high school coaches need to do a better job in finding playing time for non starters..I see too many coaches that won't make any substitutions in games that are way lopsided and manage their squads with white knuckle fear... that contributes to parent frustrations..it's not an excuse for bad behavior but it's part of the overall problem..why does a coach have them on the squad if he has no intention of finding them some playing time...also, some coaches forbid contact with parents so there is no opportunity to discuss anything

Last edited by CatcherDadNY