Skip to main content

Reply to "Need assessment of recruiting video"

Originally Posted by WestRanchDad:
Originally Posted by PGStaff:

That kid has some talent.  My biggest problem with viewing the video is it doesn't show me the things I want to see.  I would want to see him run.  I want to see the carry on his throws.  I want to see him hit against a pitcher.

What I do see creates interest, but it is a bit too much of the same thing.  I can see fairly quickly that he has nice hands and quick feet.  Instead of seeing that over and over, I'd rather see the other stuff.

Also, I would get rid of the sound of his feet.  Runners always appear to be faster when you can't hear their footsteps. The quickest guys are often the quietest runners.  I think the sound somewhat detracts from what appears to be one of his strengths.  Everything looks good, but the sound of each footstep adds some choppiness to what visually looks smooth. Maybe it's just me, but after watching with the sound turned up, then watch it with the sound turned off.  Maybe it's just because when I'm watching infielders and outfielders I'm not used to hearing their footsteps.

Interesting.  I will take out sound in the future videos.

This is a clip of him running for a track coach (whom he just started seeing) at the very end of a heavy work out (with no cleats).  Her stop watch is not accurate at all; we are going to a Perfect Game showcase soon to get an official time.  He has to work on lengthening his stride.

I'm leaning towards doing a Perfect Game video at this point.

https://youtu.be/XA4hP28QOWk

WRD: I would be curious as to what he ran the 60 in on the video (likely unofficial, but you could get a ballpark figure). Form is good as he did not slow down as many seem to do when they hit 50 or 55. Seeing that he is a good runner (and I certainly appreciate that tool) look at where he is standing at the starting line and and how far he is away from the "hash marks" at the finish line. Like the 55 yard dash (son used to say a bad start and he's cooked) so much cause a time to be slower than you would expect. A straight line path would lower his time. Good luck!