Skip to main content

Reply to "Need assessment of recruiting video"

Originally Posted by WestRanchDad:
Originally Posted by Nuke83:
Originally Posted by Ripken Fan:
Originally Posted by WestRanchDad:

WRD: I would be curious as to what he ran the 60 in on the video (likely unofficial, but you could get a ballpark figure). Form is good as he did not slow down as many seem to do when they hit 50 or 55. Seeing that he is a good runner (and I certainly appreciate that tool) look at where he is standing at the starting line and and how far he is away from the "hash marks" at the finish line. Like the 55 yard dash (son used to say a bad start and he's cooked) so much cause a time to be slower than you would expect. A straight line path would lower his time. Good luck!

You can hear the timer yell 7.33 after the run.  If that's the case, not an exceptional OF time official or unofficial.  

I know that you have to be under 7.  The reason that I'm not too worried is that this was the very end of a heavy workout, the kid wasn't wearing spikes, and he wasn't told yet about striding out better.  Also, if you look at what happens, the coach is standing at one end and yells "go," the sound travels to the other end, then he starts a half-a-second later.  At the showcases, they have sensors at the starting line to start the clock.

Most baseball players wobble like crazy when they run.  You can tell there's a lot of fast-twitch in this clip, and his hands and legs are moving straight ahead.

Ok...please don't take offense to anything I say...but after this post going this long, I'll throw out a couple things.

1. An "elite" OF needs to be well below 7 seconds.  In the video, he almost leaves simultaneously with the "go"...no where near .5 second

2.  Not sure where the "most baseball players wobble like crazy" comes from...and even if they do, a coach could care less if he does cartwheels down the line if he runs a 6.6

3. You seem to be really high on your son (and most dads are)...I guess at this point I would ask who is recruiting him...and what have you heard?  Elite '17s are being recruited heavily now...with an awful lot already committed.

Again, not trying to cause issues...just kinda thinking maybe some perspective on what you are seeing and what others may be seeing may go a long way in helping you find a place for your son to play at the next level.

Good luck!!!