Skip to main content

Reply to "Need assessment of recruiting video"

Thank you, and did you really father a cabbage? 

No, my son hasn't had an injury to his arm at all.  I didn't want to say too much about a perceived weakness, but I guess I will....

I've taught my son most of the skills that he has (and I never played a lick of baseball).  Most of the knowledge was picked up from watching a ton of youtube (and trying stuff out myself).  After much trial and error, I think that we have hitting down (and boy are there a ton of people out there that portray themselves as experts that don't know what the hell they are talking about).  Anyway, throwing is one thing that really mystifies me.  I think (in my biased view) that my son has strength and the ability to rotate his body fast, but the ball has always elevated coming out of his hand, and it used to dive drastically at the end.  His mechanics also used to look really off.  I knew that he had the wrong mechanics, and I also suspected that his wrist was flopping too much, and with his short fingers, he struggled to stay on top of the ball.  One guy on the internet said that he was probably leading with his elbow, and I think that was true.  Well, I found some guys on youtube that talk about how the key is to try to get your arm to rotate inside of the shoulder socket.  They said that you should hold your arm so that the forearm and upper arm form 90 degrees.  Then, you should rotate your body really fast to try to get that forearm to fall completely backwards (twisting that spring inside your shoulder socket) and then letting it uncoil forward.  (You see this illustrated most clearly with a Randy Johnson slow mo than with just about anybody else.)  These guys said that this is the proper and easiest way to throw, and this is what I tried to emphasize with my son.  He is still trying to master that technique.

I know, I know, part of the problem is me trying to teach him when I didn't even play myself.  When My son was small, I did send him to a pitching coach, but this coach spent 1/2 of every lesson just warming up with my kid.  I was picturing years passing by and tons of money going down the drain with very slow progress, so we stopped after awhile. 

About a year ago, I paid a guy who was a good prospect in his day (and whose son just started with CS Fullerton) to work with my son's throwing.  He was telling my son to pull his elbow down really hard to his belly button.  This guy was a very nice and encouraging guy, but I don't think that was the right technique given the problems that my son was having (with the ball rising out of his hand).

Well, I am willing to spend the money right now if I can get a really, really solid recommendation from someone.