Skip to main content

Reply to "Need direction after major disappointment"

Some excellent posts on here. Having gone down the college baseball recruiting path with two sons, neither of which found their way on to the ACC/SEC Blue Chip track, some observations:

1. Like life, it really isn't always fair. Certainly there are no guarantees. You will see players get big time attention that seem to be an awfully lot like other players not getting such notice. Accept that it happens and don't let it discourage you. You can't control what the scouts see, or don't see.

2. Don't let a lack of "Big Time" attention get you down. Is it easier to get to the MLB if you're at a big name D-1? Absolutely. Are there many outstanding players in D-II and D-III? Absolutely. Will the lower D-I, D-II and D-III guys get seen as much as the well known D-I's? No, they won't. Will they get "seen" at all? Most likely, especially if they play in a summer woooden bat league and do well.

3. Is not getting to the MLB ultimately fatal? Thankfully, no.

4. Can baseball players that don't get to MLB enjoy playing college ball, get an education, develop a circle of friends that will last a lifetime, and be the envy of many that didn't get even that far? Absolutely.

5. No parent is truly objective. None of us. I recently was told of a conversation between a very knowledgeable and well-respected MLB official and a summer league coach, where the MLB guy lamented that he couldn't figure out why his son didn't generate more interest. If this guy can't be objective, none of us can.

6. Perseverance has its own rewards. I have a son that signed with a D-II,was red-shirted as a freshman, had his mechanics changed and was ignored PT-wise as a sophmore, as a junior transferred to a D-III that he loves, was switched to a 1B only, necessitating learning to hit again after two years without touching a bat, and is working harder than I've ever seen him work to try to win the starting job come fall. Many would've packed it in by now but he truly loves the game. He certainly won't fail for lack of hard work. I hope he wins the spot, but even if he doesn't, the character he is developing through his monster workouts will carry him well along life's path, and will open other doors if not this one.

7. Sometimes the reward is at the end of the journey, and sometimes the journey is the reward. But they never know which will happen, and neither happens if they don't start the journey.

8. Don't lose sleep worrying over things you can't control.

H-1