Skip to main content

Reply to "Need help relaxing"

quote:
t

plp556,

I can somewhat empathize with you - my son has recently experienced what seems like the same problem. I know it can be very frustrating, but know in your mind that it is TEMPORARY. It could be anxiety related. Sometimes, a player when put in a situation where he feels pressured to perform to a certain level (and this could be self induced) involuntarily changes the way he would normally go about doing things. For instance, when facing a faster pitcher, the anxious batter may start his hands forward too early instead of keeping them back - this makes it very difficult to sit back on the off speed stuff, which makes the batter very vulnerable to a crafty pitcher/catcher. My advice is to focus on "slowing" things down - just the opposite of what you may be doing in "pressure" situations. In order to slow yourself down, you will need to "trust" your ability, which you have demonstrated during the non-game situations. Take a little more time before firing the trigger - relax, read, then react. Best wishes.