Skip to main content

Reply to "Need help with a rule..."

quote:
Originally posted by Gater022:
Ok, i was out scouting a league opponent today and saw something Ive never seen before...

Let me start by explaining the ground rules at the field... Really short fence in left. The fence is tall (30 feet). As you get passed left center the fence gets deeper and drops down to a 10 foot fence. Ground rules- ball hit over the 30 foot fence in left is a ground rule double. Any ball hit over the shorter fences (everywhere else) is a home run.

The away team is batting... two men on (second and third). The away teams cleanup hitter hits one toward left center. The ball was a bomb however it was close to the end of the 30 foot fence. The away team's thirdbase coach runs onto the infield grass while the ball is in the air to get a better view of whether its a double or homerun. He didnt just take a couple steps over the line, he was a good 10-15 feet onto the infield in fair territory. The coach didn't seem to interfere with any fielders or baserunners. The umpire called ground rule double because the ball went over the 30 foot high (short) fence near left. Both runners scored. The home team didn't put up much of a complaint and the home plate ump said "coach, you cant just run onto the field while the ball is in play."

Is just a warning the proper call here? What would've happened if the home team argued? Is this interference? Could they argue the batter should be out?

Well, there was no play to be had, so he didn't interfere; he didn't assist any runners; he seemed just to be a bit excited. The only thing during the play I'm worried about is the potential for unsportsmanlike conduct, but absent that, yes, a warning is appropriate.