Skip to main content

Reply to "Need help with swing"

Here's my two cents worth, I think you have a good, mechanically sound swing that is inconsistent because the "slow" moves at the start aren't slow. 

I'm referring to the parts of your swing from stance to toe touch. Find a YouTube vid of Pujols (preferably one where he starts from a very wide stance, stands his front heel up, moves his toes 4-5", and drops the heel and turns it loose) and you'll see that, like you, he is wide w/ little or no stride. BUT THE BIG DIFFERENCE is that even though he is wide he stills has a small amount of slow, linear movement toward the pitcher. 

It is starting "slow" that allows us to adjust to speed. If our first move in hitting is fast it makes it very difficult to adjust to (off) speed. 

You can light the arm machine up, because the velocity is very consistent. Pitchers aren't, and I think that may be why hitting is suddenly more difficult for you. 

Incidentally, this is why I've removed the arm type pitching machine from our cage. That Ferris wheel type delivery is hard to anticipate, and IMHO it was causing our hitters to start w/ fast movements and swing in a barrel. Both of which hinder bat speed and the ability to adjust.