Skip to main content

Reply to "Need some feel good stories"

I have a feel good story for you, though it may not be the one you want.  I have photos of various teams my sons played on and/or that I coached over my desk.  Right now I'm looking up at my 2017's LL team from 2010 -- that was a great year. I coached a good bunch of kids with a good friend.  We didn't win, but  we were in the hunt for the Majors title all year. My friend and I went on to coach a travel team together for a while, then with his boy a year older, our kids went their separate ways, but off on an on for the next 5 years, my friend and I and our two boys would meet weekly at the cage. They would talk and hit; my friend and I would just talk.  As it turns out, my kid is still playing, and his kid stopped after JV in HS.  That kid could mash.  He was a little small and a little slow, but he raked. In the cage and in LL at least.  I think he loved the game, but just not enough to put in the work in the end, and not enough to go through the transition to having a very tough HS coach at the Varsity level.  

Like most 13yo baseball players, even those with considerable talent, he was out of the game by the time he graduated from HS. That is just the way the numbers are.  Why is that a feel good story?  Well because that is okay.  His playing days are over, as they will be for everybody as some point, but he's still a great kid!  He's working hard and finishing up at a Juco this year. He and his dad still love to travel and camp and fish and see baseball games together, just like they did back in his playing days.  Even if he didn't play as long as my friend would have liked, I think that all those days in the cage with dad, and going to tournaments and games, helped make him who he is today. Same for my boy.  In both cases that's a good thing.

TPM is right. Try to relax and enjoy the ride while it lasts, wherever it takes you son.