Skip to main content

Reply to "Negative Compliments"

Wow. I was going to post on a similar theme about two weeks ago but decided to let it go instead. This topic has opened up a lot of feelings. It was about the "ugly-ness" I have personally experienced in baseball which is basically no different than what others have already posted here.

Why stop at just negative compliments? How about compliments that are never given, mis-directed, over-emphasized toward an unremarkable player, etc. etc. I tried to rise above this by always complimenting the other kids, highlighting their strengths, and never (or minimally) saying anything about my own. Sometimes it is very difficult to be the bigger person. In the end, that is all you can do IMHO. By not responding to the insult in-kind, you become the stronger and more blessed person in God's eyes which is all that really matters at the end of the day.

As has been said many times, baseball is a metaphor for life. The ugly parts of it will always be there and the strong need to rise above it. Humility is a great virtue and always pays off in the end.

The best book I have ever read on this topic was from a college assignment. It was called "The People of the Lie" by M. Scott Peck. The book had nothing to do with baseball, everything to do with the darkside of human existence, and was frightening in its description on how people can act negatively toward others.