Skip to main content

Reply to "Negotiating Aide"

2022NYC,

Yes, however our approach was a little different.  I got in front of FA offices while my son was visiting campus for colleges I knew he was serious about (top engineering programs)...I made a friend in each FA office.  When we were ready to move forward I contacted that friend in FA.   My son had it whittled down to two Ivys and one D3 HA NESCAC.   The Ivys had a policy (at the time...not sure about now) that they would match each others FA package.   Ivy 2 (his 3rd choice) was more generous than Ivy 1, but Ivy 1 was his first choice.   We brought that up in our discussion and they did match it, plus give him a $4K merit scholarship per year...I honestly don't know why they threw that on top but we didn't ask questions.   So, we were happy as clams with the Ivy 1 FA package.   The Ivy FA package was very close to a 50% scholly offer he got earlier from D1 private mid-major.   The D3 HA Nescac school was his second choice and it was right in line with the others, and I was able to move the needle there as well mentioning that he had two Ivy offers in front of him.  If I was in your position, I think I would get that competing D1 offer and make it sound like it is too good to pass up and see what they say...just shake their "money tree" a little bit.

Good luck!