Skip to main content

Reply to "New and improved “Transfer Portal 2023” thread…"

Technically, I think this was in place for the 12/1-15 window for spring sports, but this is the first end of season window. if anything, it might make a coach slightly more cautious about offering scholarship money to "young" transfers, but I don't think it will change much.

There are so many different types of transfers. Graduate transfers are mostly playing one year, so the guarantee doesn't apply to most of them. Top talent guys are looking to get drafted so they don't need the extra years. unhappy guys (after transferring) are going to leave on their own... so how many kids will get those extra years of scholarship that wouldn't have gotten it anyway without the guarantee?  just speculating.

I agree with everything in the second paragraph. Let me remind everyone that the NCAA exists to promote and protect their member institutions. They do not exist for the betterment of college student athletes. So they are experts at making policy that appears to be favorable to student athletes but actually provides little to no help whatsoever.