Skip to main content

Reply to "New at this and kinda freaking out"

Velo is a strange animal.  As many have stated, your boys' velo isn't where it needs to be, but it can be improved.  I've always said, "you can't teach size", and your boys definitely have that going for them.  

Hard work is the key!  

I second another poster's thoughts earlier that throwing hard early can be an issue, because coaches will overuse your kid.  Ryno played on a lot of very talented teams, and until HS, he was never more than the 3 - 5th guy.  The boy who was an absolute man child was overused, and he didn't pitch much after Freshman year.

By the way, I had heard rumors that Ryno had touched 90 before, but I personally had never seen it on a gun.  This weekend against Michigan, Ryno hit 90 a bunch of times, and also hit 93 at least 5 times.  (That was according to the B1G Network Broadcast.) He only threw high 70's as a Freshman in HS, low 80's soph., low to mid 80's Jr., and mid to semi high 80's Sr. year.  As a Freshman/Sophomore at JC, he touched 90, and now he is 88-93, so Velo can steadily improve with HARD work, and a good PC.  

Good luck to your boys!