Skip to main content

Reply to "New bat with Holes"

quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Nothing new here. The bat I used to use back in the day had holes in it, too. Right where the barrel should have been.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I do see one plus from this bat. If the pitcher can get his fastball in on the hands the way he should, this should cut down on those blooper hits you get with metal bats -- the ones that would be shattered bat pop ups with wood. If there's no mass in the handle/neck area, I don't see how the batter gets those Texas Leaguers any more.

What people forget about metal bats is that the difference (compared to wood) isn't so much in what happens when you hit it on the sweet spot. The big difference is in what happens when you DON'T hit the sweet spot. Here's a bat that gives away one of the primary advantages a metal bat gives a batter.

But I guess if you hype it enough, someone will shell out $350+ for it.

Good points. I wonder how the ball will come off on a jam shot? Will a ball catch the rim of a hole and shoot off the bat at an odd angle? Will the bat be more susceptable to breaking where the holes will be?

I guess it shows that people will buy anything that seems "new" or "better than others".