Skip to main content

Reply to "New CBA increases draft pressures"

quote:
I'll bet that if you asked, many would even do it for less.

Sure they would, RZ. That is the shame of the game. MLB has convinced everyone in America that you will make millions and play on TV each night. I would guess that less than 5% of all players drafted each year have more than a cup of coffee in the big leagues.

How can kids survive getting paid minimal money for a 3-4 month period of time? Then, they have to get a menial part-time job as a greeter at Wal-Mart or ruin their bodies in construction to make ends meet. Better still...they depend on mom and dad to pay their bills.

I'm not talking about the first few rounds where they get nice bonus money. I'm talking about the drafts from the 10-50 rounds who get virtually nothing except a plane ticket to a short season league and $10.00 in McDonald's tickets. Then, a couple of seasons later, when they get released...they're shell-shocked about the experience.

I've talked with several minor leaguers (drafted in the lower rounds each year) in the past few years who are absolutely STUNNED when they are not even offered a "nominal" bonus ($1,000-5,000) to sign!