Skip to main content

Reply to "New Coach Seeking Advice"

OB1, email sent.  As an FYI, if you took 2 strikes against my teams, you would never see the 7th inning.  In fact, if you get that baseball close to that plate be prepared for take off.  I believe that in HS baseball, you only run into a shutdown pitcher in conference or tournaments and that really depended upon the quality of your conference.  

OB1, you are going to get a dozen different opinions but you have to know your own philosophy as well as your players.  If done correctly, your team will then reflect that.  Other than the hitting handout I sent to you, I think that you will find much of that stuff helpful.  I've changed some on hitting.  I will send you a couple of more things when I get a chance.  

A field/program belongs to the players and community.  The Coach is the caretaker of it.  We had mandatory assignments for our field and cages.  We also had mandatory assignments for our underclass.  For example, once a year, the freshman team had to come up and pull weeds.  We could have taken care of the weeds in multiple ways but the point was that they jump in and begin to get their hands dirty on that varsity field and begin their ownership of it.  Good luck with coaching.  It is one of the greatest experiences in my life and I hope it will be in yours.