Skip to main content

Reply to "New Coach Seeking Advice"

It was a decent preseason, I gave my returning players advice on what they needed to work on and worked heavily with pitchers and catchers. 

The season officially kicked of 2/12 and we’ve had 2 days we’ve actually been able to see the field due to flooding rains. Fortunately we’ve die. A lot of work inside with tennis balls.

We has 11 players last year, I’ve currently got 20 and somehow more pitchers this year than we had players last year. 

Thank you All for your advice and help. Tomorrow we open with our first scrimmage with a local rival that I intentionally left off the regular season schedule. Maybe I’m wrong for doing this but this program has seen less than 10 wins in 10 seasons so I built the schedule this year with at least 10 games we can win. Personally I think it’s easier to build a program when you’re winning, even if it’s against teams that are easy to beat. My thought is we’ll increase the competition as we increase our competitiveness. We’ll probably be destroyed in district play but our team needs to learn they can win and maybe if I build some excitement our school district will actually invest in our program. 

I got a batting cage donated, no we don’t even have a cage...sad right, but our facilities department still hasn’t put it up yet, too busy painting the weight room for the football team...UGH! (And I’ve been the football booster president for last 2 years). They just hired a new football coach so I guess the honeymoon phase is going to make our baseball program suffer, no surprise. 

Anyway, wish me luck as we open tomorrow tomorrow and next week with 3 local rival scrimmages with local private schools. 

On a great note, out of no where I had a freshman show up who played travel ball and is a catcher, the one position I was really concerned with. He’s a phenomenal athlete and an answer to prayer for the balance of this team. We may just have something here!