Skip to main content

Reply to "New Coach Seeking Advice"

Saturday's scrimmaged turned out pretty good.  The team we were facing has a strong baseball program so I had little expectations going in, mainly wanted to see improvement from our team and not so much worried about the score. 

We scored in the first inning and stranded 2 runners...that in and of itself is a tremendous improvement.  I think it took us a few games to get a run last year and this year we not only scored...and I know this sounds odd to look at as a positive...we stranded 2 runners.

We hung with them for a few innings in-spite of my starting pitcher struggling to find the strike zone.  I wanted to get a look at everyone so I made the commitment to myself that I wasn't letting any one throw more than 50 pitches.  In the 3rd we struggled on the mound.  Probably gave up 10 runs through 4 pitchers.  We ended up getting out of the inning with a triple play.  It wasn't pretty but it was a triple play.

We weren't keeping score but you know the fans in the stands were, I think the final was 16-2, and that was with me allowing everyone to play and bat.  I probably have 4-5 kids that I've kept on the team just to build the program and have numbers and create, generate so excitement. 

We scored 2 runs, stranded 5, 3 stolen bases and 6 strike outs.  I feel pretty confident those numbers are competitive to the entire season last year. 

We scrimmage the same team this Thursday as well as another cross county rival.  I looking forward to it!  I was able to get a friend from church who pitched for Mississippi State to come out yesterday and work through some mechanics and pick-off moves yesterday. 

I just want to say thank you to this group for your help and your encouragement.