Skip to main content

Reply to "New England Reclass Rate"

I don’t have access to the article. But the school in the picture and those tagged at the bottom of what can be seen of the article are NEPSAC’s (New England Private School Athletic Conference). I attended one for a year. Due to the academic rigor at most of these schools they’re known for reclassifying incoming students even if they aren’t athletes. It was the case then and is still the case now.

Freshman year I experienced the high school version of what college athletes are facing now. I was the 14/15yo competing against 18/19yo. I succeeded there in academics and sports. I just hated the boarding school experience and returned to public school. Outside the athletes (many of them local day student commuters) the school was full of spoiled, arrogant rich kid boarders (of course one only stays at the Plaza when in Manhattan). Given at the time freshman year was 9th grade in junior high athletically the varsity experience was a plus.

When I told the English headmaster I was leaving after a year he told me my downfall in life would be I was too interested in sports and girls. I nearly bit through my lip holding back before I busted out laughing in his face.