Skip to main content

Reply to "New England Reclass Rate"

@314Calhoun posted:

I suspect baseballhs's comment about redshirt kindergarten was taken as a joke, but it is absolutely not. I have no clue about the general population, but among youth travel ball players the majority of kids are being held back a year. All you have to do is check out the rosters of the top teams on PG. My players missed the school cut off by only two weeks and should among the oldest in his class, but he is likey in the 25th percentile. In a couple years most players will be 19 for there entire senior year, there will be alot of 20 yr olds playing in the spring. Reclassing as you folks are defining it is likely a moot point moving forward as the majority of kids have already been held back.

Reclassification is not a new phenomena, just something that is a result of unforeseen events and actions taken by organizations to provide somewhat fair solutions.

Note, what we define as fair depends on the stakeholder that is being impacted.

Note, the annual High School state participation numbers for baseball are 550k, if we assume an annual attrition of 20% graduates, then the simple estimate is 110k pool of available HS players.

You can use the CBI State Participation Insights to look specifically at your state to understand where players normally go.

Understand there have been changes post covid, you can get a feel of the trends.

Note, we've upload 2021 Fall Rosters (will show as 2022) for you to see how things are playing out

There are some other insights College Baseball Overview Insights that can assist you with your family's college recruiting journey.

Note, this is not the end all be all, but it will provide a perspective of how schools are doing the roster management.