Skip to main content

Reply to "New member, HS umpire"

I get to the game 40-45 minutes prior to start.  My association suggests 30 minutes.  The extra time allows me to inspect the field, watch warm up drills, look for issues on the field, make sure there are plenty of NFHS approved balls available and generally get the feel of the teams.  Baseballs....still an issue, especially at tournaments.  Getting grimy, used, hand me downs from the varsity is not acceptable.  

On comments from the coach.  I ignore it until it borders on questioning my calls.  I have been trained on our new policies.  The acknowledgement, with, "that will be enough", the verbal/written warning with confinement to the dugout, then ejection.  I do not change my procedures for any reason.  Blowouts or close games.  Same calls.  Many reasons,  integrity of the game and my rhythm to name two.    

A coach yelling at the catcher asking where the ball was, is bush league.  A coach on the sidelines saying that was a strike is the same.   

Pet peeves, batters call time with no one on base and the pitcher in the set position. Batters stepping out of the box after every pitch.  Disrespectful behavior prior to the start of the game.  

I call the same game FB and BB from Frosh to Varsity.  

Last edited by CA JoeBob