Skip to main content

Reply to "New NCAA Ball..."

I think we might have settled on a good combination.

To Dad04's point, we still have the BBCOR bat, so the bat's sweet spot is still diminished and its trampoline effect more limited than we saw prior to its introduction.. Moreover, the exit velocity hasn't changed. As a result, the batter is still challenged to square the ball up and hit it properly.

However, with the new ball's improved aerodynamics, we can expect well hit balls to fly enough additional distance that the factors enumerated by old_school should be in play; giving power hitters more opportunity to thrive and preventing defenses from cheating in too much.

Meanwhile, pitchers will be given the chance to develop their craft with the very seam height that they can expect if they progress to the minor league game. 

The combination ought to bring somewhat higher scoring back to college baseball. As much as I LOVE a pitcher's duel, I have to acknowledge that part of college baseball's traditional appeal to the average fan has been its promise of more offense; and, ultimately, I want college baseball to thrive and prosper. It's hard to imagine it doing so if parks like Omaha's TD Ameritrade almost never surrender a home run.

I'm very interested...and hopeful...that my first sentence ends up being accurate.

Last edited by Prepster